One Man Walking

Action stations!

March 31st, 2008 · 8 Comments

Just under 19 hours until wheels up and my room is still a tip. I’ve successfully left The Green Pub for the third and final time. When going to Europe and America I have assumed the flat my friends and I have shared since 2001 would still be there when I returned. But this time it’s sayonara for good. It’s due to be bulldozed and turned into little shoe-box style apartments. I only wish I could be there for the demolition party.
   Now my gear is laid across the floor of my parents’ spare room. I’ve narrowed down what I want for the walk, almost, but I also have two weeks of tourism beforehand and I’m thinking I can take enough clothes that I don’t have to do any laundry, just discard the used items as I go.

And toys, toys, toys! My über-lightweight hiking poles from Gossamer Gear showed up in time, as did the Montrail shoes that Levi helped me with. I raided Living Simply last week and came out with fresh socks and a new sleeping mat. Last year I took a Z-lite and it did the job pretty well. This year I am trying a Thermarest inflatable. To save weight and space I’ve gotten the smallest side available, which will mean using other clothes as a pillow and putting my feet up on my bag at night. It also disrupts my solar panel setup on the top of my bag. I’ll be looking into that one as soon as I’m done writing.

In these last few hours I have so much stuff to do that I can’t get a grasp on it. There are things to cancel, things to buy, things to plan and things to pass on. Getting dad up to speed on how to update this site is a task for this evening. Then backing up all my computer stuff so that when I am done I’ll have a way to reboot (pardon the pun) my life when I’m done with all this camping non-sense. I’ve said goodbye to everyone and sold as much as I can now I need to cram everything else into my bag and start wondering how I learned nothing from those gram-counting weenies I met on the PCT :-)

Key:
gear  ·  pre-hike

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 Peter // Mar 31, 2008 at 3:48 pm

I want to attend the demolition party! (we can rip the house apart right?).

You might have meant:
    “parents’” in the first line of the first-and-a-half paragraph and “beforehand” in the next sentence.
    “über-lightweight” in the second sentence of the next paragraph.
    Hmmm, I ma be wrong about “gotten”.
    If you actually read this when you ought to be rushing around productively, I’ll laugh.

• 2 Roger // Mar 31, 2008 at 5:29 pm

Hi Craig,

Just got back from a holiday (!) so very different from yours (A week in a resort in Fiji doing nothing, without kids).

Good luck and I’m thinking of you as you start another adventure. It will be interesting following you over the next few months.

TTFN

Roger

• 3 Rach // Mar 31, 2008 at 6:01 pm

Ooh, proof reading bingo, can I play? Peter: I agree with you on the spaces, but not on the apostrophe. The room belongs to your parents, plural, so there should be a possessive apostrophe there :-P

Craig, happy trails! I know we’re supposed to be sad about you leaving but I’m really looking forward to your writing again (even with the misplaced spaces and apostrophes).

Has the Green Pub really existed since 2001? We’re all getting old.

• 4 Denis // Mar 31, 2008 at 6:21 pm

Hi Rach. Since we’re all playing proof reading I’ll chip in and point out that Peter did include the possessive apostrophe – he just moved it correctly after the s
    Denis

• 5 Alison // Mar 31, 2008 at 10:25 pm

Hope you get some sleep tonight.

I look forward to reading about your new experiences on foot in Japan.

Alison

• 6 Peter A // Apr 1, 2008 at 9:22 am

Argh! Warning to everyone, if you don’t type in both your name and email address, validation fails on the following page, and when you go back you lose your comment and have to start all over again! Grrrr! Anyway, it went something like this:

Denis – it’s “and” not “an” :P [fixed. D]

I can’t believe it was 2001 either!

Saw Craig off this morning, he and Lorraine did actually walk through the departure gates so this probably isn’t all just an elaborate April Fools prank.

And Craig… feel free to ditch the coin. It was just a joke (one where I got the last laugh… sucker!)

• 7 Rach // Apr 1, 2008 at 11:10 am

Oh, you fixed it – that’s cheating :-)

• 8 Richard // Apr 1, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Good Luck Craig – I gave away your cards to various members of the No11 Yokohama Venturers who were very interested in your trip. I hope they follow the story and leave some comments and contacts.